Front-End Web Developer
In this course, students gain hands-on experience deploying interactive web sites for desktop and mobile web browsers using the latest web technologies and frameworks. Students also learn all coding and web development best practices, including team collaboration skills.
Technical topics include:
- Basic development tools and workflow including both IDEs and command line.
- Source control with git
- Responsive design
- Introduction to basic image manipulation and editing (e.g. in Gimp) to prepare images for the web
- Unit testing
- Communicating effectively about code in the context of code review and pair programming
- Connecting to remote machines via SSH to deploy code and conduct basic administrative/ops tasks
- Using preprocessors like LESS and SASS
- Organizing code within larger projects
- Branching and merging code changes using git
- Collaborating on a group project with multiple developers
- Using object-oriented techniques to organize code and data
- Defensive coding and error handling
- Introduction to node.js and express
- Introduction to persistent storage using MongoDB
- Relational databases and SQL
- Using the React library
Through the program, students create a portfolio of individual and team projects that can be shown to future, potential employers. Students also learn to communicate effectively in an interview and professional setting.